‘Harvey Specter hair’ is awesome.
It’s so good, that even other characters mock it (in envy).
But it hasn’t always been the same.
Throughout Suits, Harvey has sported a variety of hairstyles, all with varying degrees of formality and ‘slickness’.
In this article, I will go through Harvey Specter’s haircuts, and tell you how to get them.
An Overview of Harvey Specter’s Haircuts
All of Harvey Specter’s hairstyles are smart and presentable, staying in line with his usual style.
On top of this, in almost every case, it looks like he uses high-hold products.
However, the finish (matt or shiny) and the length of his hair varies.
In the show’s history, Harvey has sported three main hair styles:
Harvey Specter’s Haircuts
This season 1 hairstyle is, in my opinion, absolute perfection, and best reflects Harvey’s swagger.
I would categorise this Harvey Specter haircut as a ‘classic, slicked back pompadour with a side parting’.
Normal pompadours usually feature greater volume, and perhaps a fade on the sides and back.
Harvey’s version maintains some of the volume on top, but is slicked back to create a cleaner and more proportional line.
On top of that, it does not feature a fade, and has longer, tapered, sides.
Both of these features make it more classic and formal than a typical pompadour.
To finish it off, the neat hard left side part is a perfect complement to the rest of his clothing choices, and reflects his style perfectly.
This is especially true when he is in his suit.
How to Get Harvey Specter’s Slick Hair
To get this haristyle, you will require around 2.5″ of hair on top, and around 0.5 – 0.75″ on the sides and back.
After growing your hair out to these levels, you will probably want to go to the barber for a tidy up.
During this tidy up, ask the barber to cut your hair to the required length (2.5″ and 0.5″) with scissors, as it will help achieve the specific look and layering of the style.
Ensure they leave a majority of the 2.5″ on the top, as it will allow you achieve the volume with the slick back required for this hairstyle.
And, as always, I would recommend that you take a photo in to make it 100% clear what you are looking for.
If you want the shiny look, you’re going to have to use some sort of pomade or gel.
However, if you’re like me and prefer a matt finish (for my fine hair, you see), look into aqua-based waxes, putties or fibres. My preferred product is Da Dude’s ‘Da Wax’ (Amazon affiliate link) which provides an excellently strong hold, and a non-greasy matt finish – it is my favourite hair product, period.
- The first step is to wet your hair.
- If you want, now is the time to apply a prestyling product, like Shockwaves Volume Mouse, to help get the required volume, and put your hair into place.
- Dry it as best you can with a towel, and blast your hair back with a hair dryer.
- The key to this style is volume, so grab the front of your hair with a comb, and pull it upwards, blasting your hair from underneath as you do. Repeat this action multiple times to set the hair into place.
- After your hair has dried, part it either with a comb or your fingers, and apply your hair product.
- With shinier products such as pomade, you will probably want to comb your hair into place with a comb after this. However, if you use matt products like a wax, you can comb using your fingers.
In the later seasons, Harvey sports this spiked up, lengthened, crew cut.
Due to its neat nature, it is still appropriate to be worn in all the situations that he encounters.
The advantage of this hair style, compared to his slick-back, it that is much easier to obtain and maintain.
Furthermore, it may be something that those of us with fine hair will gravitate towards, as Harvey’s slick hair may not be easily achievable.
How to Get Harvey Specter’s Hair
You will need to grow your hair out on top to about 1 – 1.5″.
When you go to the barbers for a tidy up, ask for a number 2 on the sides and back with clippers, to get that uniformed look.
Ensure they leave your hair longer on top then the sides, which will allow you to spike it forwards and clearly show that the sides and top are of different lengths.
Again, I would recommend that you take a photo in of this style to make it clear what you are asking for.
- Dampen your hair to make the follicles malleable, and able to be manipulated.
- Like with the slick back, you could apply a prestyler here.
- During the period it is dampened, you may want to blow dry the top of your hair upwards to get extra volume and structure for the style.
- Heat up a matt product between your hands and run it through your dry hair, pushing up and coating the whole follicles as you do.
- Your hair should now stay in place all day.
Again, I would highly recommend Da Dude’s ‘Da Wax’ for this, as I have achieved a perfect replica of this hair style with it – yes, the price is probably higher than what you were expecting, but trust me, for the amount you get in the jar, and the quality of the product, in my opinion, it’s worth the investment.
As stated before, Harvey Specter’s hair is always evolving.
This ‘medium’ haircut is seen in many of the his flashback scenes and when he is in his casual clothing, and is an intermediary between the slicked long hair, and the spiky short hair.
It is a more natural and less refined hairstyle, but retains professionalism and neatness. As a consequence of this, it works to soften his face for a more youthful appearance (hence why the wardrobe department went for it).
However, due to the lack of structure and product, I would argue it makes Harvey look less intimidating and more approachable.
How to Get Harvey Specter’s Medium Hair
As flashback scenes are shot at the same time as the rest of the season, the method for cutting this style is the same as his ‘short haircut’.
But, as a quick recap:
- 1.5″ on the top.
- Number 2 with clippers on the side and back.
Like with Harvey’s short hair style, the sides and back are short enough that they should stay down by themselves.
As for the top, it doesn’t look like there’s any product in his hair at all.
However, I certainly know that my hair isn’t capable of being that neat without product.
If your hair is like mine, then I would recommend purchasing a medium/high hold matt product, and:
- If required, wet your hair to make it malleable, and dry it.
- Simply heat your chosen product up in your hands by rubbing it together, and apply it on your hair, sweeping upwards and to the side, perhaps creating a soft part on one side of the head.
Conclusion – Harvey Specter Haircuts
Having ‘Harvey Specter hair’ will certainly turn heads.
Use this guide to pick your favourite Harvey Specter haircut, follow the steps to get it, and dominate.